May 3, 2014

Summer 2014 Book Challenge!


I totally stumbled across this late, but I'm definitely jumping in. I haven't figured out all of the books I'm reading, and I still have to finish the book I started before May 1st, but I'm so excited!

I've already picked out books for a few of the categories...

Freebie! I think I'm going to go with Redshirts by John Scalzi. I originally looked at it for my dad, but I think it's something I might enjoy too, and it's definitely different from what I usually read.
Read a book from the children’s section of the library or bookstore. I'm going to use one of my three re-reads for this one and re-read A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Read a book that was/will be adapted to film in 2014. Definitely going with The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I'm super excited about this one.
Read a biography, autobiography or memoir. I bought Barbie and Ruth: The Story of the World's Most Famous Doll and the Woman Who Created Her for my mom a couple years ago. (She's a Barbie Doll collector.) I'm not sure she ever read it, but I'm going to snag it the next time I'm over there.

Some of them I still need to think about...

Read a book that was written before you were born.Finish reading a book you couldn't finish the first time around. (This is going to be tough, even if I'm not enjoying a book I try really hard to finish it.)
Read a book that is on The New York Times' Best Sellers List when you begin reading it.
Read a historical fiction book that does not take place in Europe.
Read a book with “son(s),” “daughter(s)” or “child(ren)” in the title.
Read a book written by a blogger.
(Would definitely love some suggestions for this one!)
Read a pair of books with antonyms in the titles.

Do you have any books you're planning to read this summer? Any suggestions for categories I haven't picked a book for?

3 comments:

  1. For "Read a book with “son(s),” “daughter(s)” or “child(ren)” in the title.", I'd highly recommend "Not Without my Daughter." Loved that book (but it also scared the shit out of me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend The Power of One or The Potato Factory (or anything by Bryce Courtenay for that matter) for a historical fiction book not based in Europe. Some of it is in England, but I consider that the United Kingdom and NOT Europe and the rest is Australia and/or South Africa and/or Tasmania. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for books by bloggers, the only blogger I follow with a published book is Vicki Combden Murphy ("Motherfumbler" - probably not up your alley). As for famous bloggers there is Emma Koenig's "F*CK I'm in my 20's" (haven't read it but sounds relatable) and Steve Dublanica's "Waiter Rant" (read it and thought it was okay but it really reads more like a series of blog posts published as a book than as an actual book). Maybe my latter commentary would apply to all books by bloggers...

    ReplyDelete