Apr 16, 2014

Saying Goodbye

I think I started writing this post in my head at least a dozen times since last week. I don't know exactly how to start it. Or even what I want to say.

On Monday I got a text message from my dad saying that a close friend of the his & my mom's had passed away. He had been battling cancer for a while and we knew it was coming, but it was still sudden at the same time. Dad apologized for telling us in a  text (my brother got the same message) but explained that he didn't think he could talk about it just yet.

My parents have a group of friends that they've hung around with since they were in college. There are three other couples, and they've all been in my life for as long as I can remember. Truthfully, I'm closer to them then to most of my aunts and uncles. Their children were like my cousins. We all went on vacations together when we were growing up and even now Mom and Dad still travel with these three couples. They're not like family, the are family.  

I'm sure you can guess where this is going.

On Monday, I lost a member of my family.

This man held me when I was a baby and danced at my wedding.

He had a larger than life personality.

He was kind and generous and could (and would) talk to anyone.

The funeral was today, and it was a beautiful service.

But cancer sucks, and I hate good byes.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this. :( My Grandpa died of cancer a couple of years ago. Cancer sucks...for sure. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete