Apr 17, 2014

Imagine Whirled Peas

The first mark I made on the internet was geocities site I built back in grade ten as part of a project for my technology class. Gradually the site morphed into a Backstreet Boys fansite (I was so cool in high school!) and then morphed again into a personal site that included a blog. I was decent enough at HTML and created some layouts that I thought were pretty snazzy.

Eventually I decided that I would like to purchase my own domain. A friend and I decided to go splits on a domain that would house both of our personal sites. I'm not entirely sure where the name came from, but we decided on whirled-peas.org. (I told you I was cool in high school...) She didn't end up keeping her site for very long, but I did. I met some awesome people - I even hosted Melanie's site for a bit. Most of the people I met back then are no longer blogging. Or if they are, I can't find them. I'm really excited that another one of my old blogger friends is looking at making a come-back. (Yup, that's you Sid!)


It's a sign! This is my Jones Soda cap from last
Wednesday,  the same day I started this blog!
I had whirled-peas.org for years, I used it as a personal site/blog for a while that I got another domain name for that and used whirled-peas for fanlistings. (Does anyone else remember fanlistings? I was super into them for a while!) I also had a fansite for Ryan Malcolm... (I really was cool, I swear.) As I finished school and got married blogging sort of faded away. I've brought my blog back a couple times over the past few years. (Melanie was kind enough to host me during one of those revivals) but I never stuck with it.


I feel like blogging has changed a bit since I first got involved. Now there are link-ups and give-aways and "blates" and conferences and people with thousands of followers. Everyone seems to have a theme or a niche. I haven't totally decided where I belong yet, but I'm working on it. And I'm not going to give up this time. Once upon a time blogging gave me a lot of joy, and it's really nice to do something for myself. I'm not looking for thousands (or even hundreds) of followers, and I'm not looking to make money. I want to meet people, I want to learn things, and I want to have fun.

I'm glad you stumbled across my new blog. Feel free to come back. :-)

xo,
Sara

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sara! I was so glad to find you are still blogging! I just found this site through Melanie's site (that I haven't visited much lately either).
    Fanlistings still seems to be big among young people, at least I see it quite often. Personally I've never understood the meaning with them.
    I've been bouncing a lot forward and back with my blog and whether or not to keep it and why or how, and I've tried niched blogging but I simply don't like it. I want to be able to write about anything on my blog, and I prefer to read that kind of blog too. I don't like today's blogosphere where everything is commercial and most blogs look the same, I like journal types of blogs that people write because they enjoy doing it. However my bouncing ended me up writing a blog about everything but with music and photos being the most common topics.

    I like your peas domain, very odd though. :) Why did you give it up, or are you still using it for something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, sorry for the typo. This comment should have the correct url.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that we are both back! hehe! My first site that was worth anything was part of whirled peas, and I loved it! Me, you, Melanie and... Crystal? I think that's who the fourth one was for so long. So fun. So glad you gave me a shot way back then! <3

    I don't have a niche either, and feel sort of weird about it. But blogging was always for fun and whatever we felt we needed to say. So, I guess that's sort of where we are, all over again, a decade or so later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww whirled-peas! Yay!

    I don't think my blog has a "theme" either, more like a bunch of themes...even though I really only end up blogging about my life instead of the themes haha. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete